Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquakes and Hurricanes

Oh my! Yes, we did feel the earthquake yesterday! What an odd feeling! Jason was getting the oil changed. Will and I were playing upstairs. I thought maybe I was getting woozy and then realized that it was just the Earth shaking. I recall a soft moaning/growling sound like the whirr of a train passing in the distance (however there aren't any trains close by). Will didn't seem to skip a beat and continued to play with his toys and I didn't think earthquakes were common in the area so I kind of thought I was losing my mind. I was on my way to call Jason when he called me. "Did you feel that?" was his first question. "Yes!" was my reply. Then, it came on the TV that there had been an earthquake with the epicenter about 150 miles away from Virginia Beach. What an experience!

Also in the forecast is Hurricane Irene. We hadn't gotten our hurricane kit together yet, but after the earthquake experience we decided it was time to prepare! Our flashlights and batteries are gathered. We made a Target run to stock up on water and food. And I'm working hard on keeping up with laundry. Currently "Irene" is a Category 3 and still a few days away from us. It is anticipated that we may feel some of its effects Saturday and Sunday with the eye passing off the coast in the very early hours on Sunday morning.
Will doesn't like to ride in carts any more. At Target we took one of the HUGE carts
and he didn't have any complaints and sat very nice during our whole hurricane
supply shopping trip. It is like driving a bus, but if he's happy, EVERYONE is happy :-)
Here he is with his case of hurricane water.

No comments:

Post a Comment